August 4, 2009

An A-HA! Moment Regarding Passing the Guard.

I've had this A-HA moment a couple of days ago.

I was thinking about the guard passes I know during an extremely boring day at work. And I realized that I thought of passes as singles moves starting from opening the guard and to finally passing the guard.

But, in reality, those are (-wait for it-) two seperate (I can already hear you saying "Duh !") processes.

And when trying those passes in rolling sessions I had this "Alright, I'll do the [pass-name-here] pass. I'm gonna open the guard like this, and pass like that" attitude. This I realized was taking the flexibility out of the move for me... mostly because of my thought process. Being a white belt, that led me to getting stuck in the move, and not being able to react to my partner very well.

Also, thinking of them seperately helped me simplify the passes. I don't have to remember the gazillion steps of a certain guard pass. Now I think more along the line of "Alright, first I need to open the guard. Ok, I ended up combat base, not bad. I think I can pass by sliding my knee across."

I know it might seem like a small difference but it seems like helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

White Belt © 2008. Templates Zone :: Converted by Blogger Template | Wordpress and Blogger Template